By Aaron Gordon, Guest Contributor to TechAddiction
NOTE: The views and opinions expressed in guest articles are solely those of the author and are not necessarily the views of TechAddiction and/or Dr. Conrad.
Like anything, there are potential risks and benefits to online dating. For those who have recently become divorced or single or have just moved into an area, it may be an easy way to meet large numbers of people in a relatively short time. There are safety and mental health risks to online dating of which every user should be aware.
Follow these tips to stay safe while pursuing love online:
1) First and foremost, online dating is meant to supplement your daily human-
2) Never reveal personal information on your profile. Do not give your name, address, or phone number. Instead, use your non-
3) When talking with someone, remember that you know nothing about this person. The key to staying safe in online dating is staying aware. People who trick others into believing that they are someone else are very good at what they do. They may talk to you for a bit and find out a great deal about what you like or dislike, then model themselves on that information. Be careful about someone who seems ‚too good to be true. He or she probably is.
5) If you feel uncomfortable, leave. This is probably the hardest advice to follow in online dating. All of us have been in situations in which we felt somewhat uncomfortable but did not want to be rude. Remember, if someone makes you uncomfortable on a first date, you have no business going out with him or her again, so the best thing to do is end the date quickly and leave.
6) If possible, have someone drive you to the date and pick you up when you call. This means that the person you meet will not have your license plate or a description of your vehicle. This may seem like overkill, but your personal information is available to someone who is dedicated enough to find it, so minimize your information exposure on the first few dates.
7) Use good judgment. If someone does not return emails or texts, move on. There are far too many potential dates online for you to worry about someone who seems flaky. Also, you risk looking pushy if you try too hard to communicate with someone who is obviously not interested.
Online dating presents a world of life changing opportunity, both positive and negative. If used safely and responsibly, it can help you find the love of your life. It can connect you to a soul mate who lives in a part of the country or world that you have never travelled.
It can give you a chance to bond with people that you never might have met otherwise. However, it can also allow you to fall victim to predators and ill-
Thank you for visiting TechAddiction! We hope you find the info here helpful.
Please take just 1 second to click the "Like" button.
Many thanks -
Online Dating: What are the risks and how do you stay safe?